There’s still an hour or so’s tweaking, but I’ve more or less finished a large oak dresser that I started on Monday morning.
I started out, as usual, by sanding back the top, which was stained and varnished in dark oak finish.
Not the nicest job on a Monday morning, but the results are usually pretty good if you stick with it. Sometimes I use an electric sander, but prefer to sand by hand if possible, particularly when working with oak. There needs to be just a little of the old stain left to provide an interesting patina.
The wood looks quite dark in the picture above, but it had only just been waxed – it soon lightened a shade or two.
The pic below shows the carved detail on the drawers, which I wanted to enhance with the paintwork.
I flat brushed the carving, so that some of the original dark oak remained. It provided a nice contrast to the cream paintwork.
I did the same with the plinth carvings on the dresser top.
This is the largest dresser I’ve painted to date and I used 95% of a whole pot of Annie Sloan’s ‘Cream’ chalk paint. My biceps are bulging!
And here it is, freshly painted, with new porcelain rose handles to the top.
I was hoping to get cracking on a dining set tomorrow, but it looks like I’m going to be out and about delivering for a few days. I also have to collect a huge oak table that I bought at auction. It’s been finished in that horrible orange varnish that was oh so popular in the 80’s/90’s. This one is definitely an ugly duckling waiting to be turned into a beautiful swan – if I pull it off, it will look amazing, if I don’t, let’s hope ORANGE is the new black:-)