I bought a pot of Annie Sloan ‘French Linen’ a few months back and must admit that I was a bit surprised with the colour. I’d expected the paint to be a cool, pale beige, but it’s quite a bit darker. So, the paint sat on the shelf just being used for the odd little tiny bit of detail because I was a bit sceptical about the colour.
Last week I decided to paint a coffee table in the ‘French Linen’ and my husband commented on it, saying he really liked the colour. I guess it just took me a while to get used to it?
One of my latest projects is a telephone table, which I’ve decided to paint in ‘French Linen’, with some little details pulled out in ‘Old Ochre’. I had some very pretty fabrics shipped over from America recently and there’s one which I think will make a cracking cushion cover to match the paintwork.
I’ve got 6 chairs lined up and several other small(ish) items to work on this coming week. My husband is helping me out a few days, so all being well good progress should be made. I bought some lovely linen fabric with teal coloured peacocks on it, which hopefully will be suitable for the chairs re-upholstery, but I need to check the pattern repeat to ensure that the rather large peacocks will fit on the seats without losing most of their tail feathers!
Here’s a close-up of the carved detail to the telephone seat. I usually flat brush carvings like this one, leaving glimpses of the original dark wood, but decided to go the other way this time by putting a paler colour (Old Ochre) in the diamond crevices.
I’d promised myself a day off today, but took one look at the housework and decided it would be easier to work:-) I made the right choice; whenever I try a new paint technique it gives me a boost and re-ignites my interest in what I do.
I finished the telephone table a couple of days back but the weather has been too poor to photograph it. I managed to get a few snaps today – here it is.