, , , , , , ,

I love the Edwardian chests of drawers. Their simple design is timeless and they often have some nice features to play around with. I’ve just started the refurb of one such chest of drawers. Here it is:

Oak chest of drawers

 I parked it under Jasper’s stable canopy because it threatened rain and there’s a power point nearby for the sander.

Here it is after I’d finished sanding.

Top sanded down

 After a wash down, the oak graining looked great. I’m planning on just a simple wax and buff; it doesn’t really need much more tweaking on top.

I’d toyed with the idea of leaving the drawers in their original wooden state, but changed my mind. They will be painted in a complimentary colour to the body of the chest, which is going to be Annie Sloan’s ‘Country Grey’. I’m planning on doing something with the nice carved plinth, probably some simple flat brushing to bring out the detail.


Here’s the plinth halfway through the ‘something’ that I mentioned:

Painting a carved plinth

It’s been a very straight forward refurb so far because the chest of drawers was in very good order to start with. I’m fairly certain that it’s been worked on previously; the wood was a lighter stain than usual for an Edwardian piece and the top had very little wear and tear, suggesting that it’s been sanded and re-stained at some point in the not too distant past. The chest also has a dressing table look about it. The 2 pieces of wood supporting the plinth were probably originally used to support a mirror.


It’s done:

Chest of Drawers/Wash Stand in Annie Sloan Country Grey/Old White

The top of an Ercol has been sanded down and the prep work carried out. I like the Ercol’s in Annie Sloan’s ‘Duck Egg Blue’, but I haven’t painted a dresser in Farrow & Ball paint for some time; maybe it’s time for a change?

I bought a very large table last year that needs a complicated repair. When I say complicated, what I really mean is that we can’t work out how to get the extendable bit mended; it’s currently trapped beneath the table top in the frame that’s there to support it, but it’s come away from the runners. It’s probably a very simple repair, if you know how? The table has been stashed away for so long, that I can’t remember much about it, apart from the fact that it made me shake when I lifted it. Crikey it was heavy. I bought it at an auction where the porters load the goods purchased, so I’d no idea of its weight until I tried to lift it off the van. My husband was one end, me the other. I did the usual intake of breath, braced myself and went to lift my side of the table, but nothing happened. Hubby and I looked at one another perplexed. We did eventually get it moved and it’s sat there for about a year, being ignored because we both know it’ll be a pain to move about again. We keep saying that it must be sorted out, but neither of us has mustered enough enthusiasm for the lifting involved.

There are also a couple of other dining tables that need matching up with chairs, but I haven’t had the room to get them assembled and sorted. Now that the weather’s slowly improving, I’ll have a chance to get them outside for the prep work.