True to promise, it’s been all systems go today. Two chests of drawers to be refurbished. One is being painted to order, the other (below) is for me to sell. Here it is in the raw:
And here it is part way through sanding:
Top fully sanded back, base sanded in preparation for painting:
The pic below is after the first coat of Autentico Vintage ‘Dune’, which I watered down a lot before using. I wanted an ultra thin coat to go on because I haven’t primed this item (I plan on distressing the drawers and didn’t want white primer showing through), so the first coat of ‘Dune’ was the primer:
We found a newspaper cutting and some slides in one of the chests of drawers. The newspaper article spoke of a gentleman, who refurbished old tools and sent them off to underdeveloped countries. The slides showed pictures of the tools. I somehow think the gentleman would approve of the refurbishing of his old chest of drawers.
By this evening, I’d made good progress, but had to move the drawers under Jasper’s canopy to make use of his lights (horse has 3 lights, I have none!):
The plinth to the back of the drawers was flat brushed to bring out the carved detail:
Tomorrow, the drawers will be waxed (and probably distressed) and the handles put back on.
Here is the chest of drawers:
I did decide to distress the paintwork a little – just to add some contrast and texture:
Finally, the weather was good enough to grab some decent pics of the bureau:
Here’s the tracing on the top:
Here’s the inside of it: