, , ,

Having had a break from refurbishing chests of drawers for a little while, along come 3 on the trot.

The first one I posted about a few days ago, the second has been refurbished to order. It’s not far off finished – I have to line the drawers and give the top another wax, but here it is in its new livery of Annie Sloan ‘French Linen’ and ‘Antoinette’:

Newly refurbished in French Linen with Antoinette handles

And here’s the before:

Satinwood chest of drawers

The missing drawer was off having a repair, and those handles just had to go – they did nothing for the drawers and weren’t the original ones, which would probably have been brass.

The third set of drawers should have been saved until next week, but I had time to spare this afternoon, so set about the sanding. Here is the chest of drawers, which has just been sanded and washed:

Victorian/Edwardian chest of drawers

The marble top has been scrubbed, but there are a few little stubborn marks remaining. I need to do a little research before trying any products to get the marks out – I don’t want to end up ruining the marble.

The handles have been attached to the chest with rivets, so they aren’t going to be removed before painting – we tried, but it soon became clear that the back plates were too delicate to withstand being tugged about.

I don’t imagine that I’ll do too much more to the latest chest of drawers for a day or two, as I’ve got other items lined up, but at least the worst part of the prep is done. To match the hues in the marble, I’m planning on painting the drawers in Farrow & Ball ‘Dove Tale’, with maybe some off white around the edges of the drawers.